DR Update
I just got this message from those who are still living in the DR. please pray for the relations among Dominicans and Haitians, as well as for Rachel who works in Villa Ascencion. this village is just past Pancho Mateo, the larger village in which i taught while living there.This email comes from Cara Jane Welch (Cara, I hope it's ok that I posted this so others can pray!).
This was on my friend Rachel's blog. (Rachel runs a fair trade co-op
in one of the villages near where we work. I'm sure I've mention La
Tienda before. It's Haitian women making jewelry, paper, candles, and
other beautiful things in order to support their families. For many
of the women, this has brought them out of prostitution.)
[Side note from Alexia: If you ever see the MAKARiOS table at the Stone and there is jewelry for sale, it's from this co-op.]
"Dec 2008
Some of you may have heard that we are experiencing severe trials in
our Haitian Village. A Mob of Dominicans went in Sunday night and ran
families out of their homes, threatened their lives and destroyed
small business. This was in reaction to the discovery of murdered
Dominican in the sugar cane fields on the road to the village.
Many families have abandoned their homes in fear of the mob and have
been scattered all over the place. Pastor Jonny (Dudu's Father) house
was broken into and all of his stuff was thrown outside and
destroyed. Pastor Jonny is the man who is taking care of Rosairi and
Jonathan while I am away. The whole family (including my kids) fled
the village and all 11 of them are currently hiding out in my
apartment in Montellano. There is a vendetta against him as he is a
community leader, and this mob wants all the Haitians gone for good.
I am endlessly thankful to hear that the entire family, including my
two, remain unharmed. The military went in to try and restore some
normalcy, they arrested the ringleader of the mob, but ended up
letting him go when a riot ensued. It is unsafe for Gringo's or
Haitians to travel to the village, and there are only a few families
who remain in what was once a robust population of Haitians and
Dominicans trying to work together and climb out of abject poverty.
Please pray for the Haitian community, as well as Jonny's family, as
well as my two kids at this time. Also I would covet your prayers as
I try to decide how to respond. "
What Rachel doesn't mention is that her art co-op is in this same
village and all of the women that she works with live there as well.
This has affected many of the people that we have ministry with, know,
and love. If it is dangerous for people to travel out to the village,
then this prevents Rachel form doing her work. The village that was
attacked was built by missionaries. Something around 200 Haitian
families were given homes and are encouraged by many means to better
their lives there. This attack is not only out of hatred for
Haitians, but also an attack on efforts to make things better for the
poor. While no one associated with Makarios was directly affected,
the families of our students live out their, and many of my friends
work for other organizations in the village. There is a Kids Alive
school in the village where people from my Dominican church, Gringo,
Dominican, and Haitian alike work.
It is clear that Satan has used these people for his evil purposes.
This is a direct spiritual attack. Pray for safety. Pray that the
government would respond so that people would feel safe to return to
their homes. Pray for direction. When I return to the DR on January
3rd I plan to help Rachel in what ever way I can.... so pray for that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home